This recipe is so good that I’m posting it even though my pictures aren’t perfect. It’s like no other apple cake I’ve experienced. The emphasis is on the apples with just enough airy cake batter to envelope them and bring out their best features. The cake is light and soft with a crisp top, and the apples are soft and succulent. I LOVE the almond flavoring with the apples, it’s perfect.
Apple Sharlotka (Russian Apple Cake)
4 Granny Smith apples ( I used Yellow Delicious this time) – peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
pinch of salt
3 large eggs
1/2 tsp pure almond extract
confectioner’s sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease the bottom and side of an 8-inch springform pan.
- In a large bowl, toss the apples with the lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of the sugar and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the flour with the cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the eggs with the almond extract and the remaining 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar at medium-high speed until thick and pale yellow and a ribbon forms when the beaters are lifted, 8 to 10 minutes. Gently fold in the dry ingredients just until incorporated.
- Spread the apples in the prepared pan in an even layer, then pour the batter evenly over them. Let stand for 5 minutes to allow the batter to sink in a little.
- Bake the sharlotka for about 1 hour, until it is golden and crisp on top and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to a rack and let rest for 15 minutes. Unmold and transfer to a serving platter. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve warm.